Wednesday, April 27

The Pacific Redwoods (N. Calif. Part III)

One place to visit that should be on everyone's bucket list...the redwood forestry of the Pacific NW...and the NW coastline in N. Calif. and Oregon along Hwy 101....while visiting my Oldest Sis and family earlier this month, OS and I traveled thru the redwoods both N of our hometown and S of our hometown...


...Heading N. (when we visited our brother in S Oregon), we stopped in the redwoods to shoot the Western wake robin, a trillium, from the Lily Family....


Further NE, heading away from the coast on Hwy 199, runs the Smith River...


This is a manzanita shrub...not in the field guide...we found this at the botanical wayside where the pitcher plant grows, that I posted previously...from the Heath Family.


While visiting the redwoods S of our hometown, OS and I found more wildflowers...the stream violet (aka pioneer violet, smooth yellow violet) is blooming under the forest canopy...I didn't realize until I cropped this photo that there were water drops decorating the leafs' edges like tiny gems...


False Solomon's seal grows abundantly in the redwoods...also from the Lily Family...


We saw plenty more trilliums...most of the pink ones were past their prime...




...Speaking of pink, best guess here is Andrew's clintonia...again my field guide is failing me, am having to hunt online...


Now this I knew was a sorrel w/ its distinct clover-like leaves... it's Redwood sorrel...


...Western bleeding heart...from the Fumatory Family...


...OS walking in the redwoods...these trees by the way are fairly small (circumference) for redwoods...young un's...you really need to see the redwoods...I'm just sayin'.....


Ferns growing from the moss on a redwood tree...the ground is covered in ferns also.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Fast forward a few days...on the drive home to S Dakota from the Denver airport, I finally got a photo of this sign...Lost Springs is in E Wyoming...according to Wikipedia, there are only four towns in the US with a population of one! According to the 2010 census, the town actually has a population of four. Guess they haven't gotten around to ordering a new sign.

4 comments:

  1. I love wildflowers. You sure found a lot of them. It's been pouring rain here, so haven't been able to get out with my camera. The redwoods are amazing trees. Love the Meadowlark header.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I just had a couple good friends come back from the Redwoods a few weeks ago and reported many of the same plants. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was to the Redwoods a long time ago on a trip with my parents but have never made it back. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment just vanished in thin air, Jann. Well anyway, the stream violet photo is very pretty and the fern covered tree looks tropical...I would love to visit the Redwoods!

    ReplyDelete