Monday, December 6

Last Shots of Autumn

It's awful early to be in a winter doldrums frump, but I confess that I am...sigh...the sun's out today so I'm thinking I need to high-tail it over to the pond to see what's about.....anyway, I never did post the photos from my last two outings before the trip to CA/first snowfall, so now's a good time to get that caught up with too.....


In late Oct., I took a drive to Bear Butte Lake, but there weren't any migrating water fowl as yet except a few Canada geese...I did get shots of some song sparrows, tho...and this empty bird house... 


One of those song sparrows on fencing...a golden tree in the background...


A closer shot of the same sparrow...


Under foot, a late thistle and its visitor...


Another song sparrow...or the same one?...seeing me off at the gate...


And the same one, having moved as I crept along past the gate towards the road...

Later still in Oct., I made a trip to Custer State Park...

Not far beyond the E entrance there's a picnic area w/ French Creek running thru it...I found this squirrel gathering food...


Bulrush growing beside the creek...



A chipmunk with a full mouth spiraled around a tree as I followed it...






On to the wildlife loop road, a female antelope basked in the sun...


...Timing...I came upon five large bull buffalo meandering towards the road from across a field...

Three of them closer up...they headed south and out of sight before reaching the road...


Another stop along French Creek where there's a foot trail...and this beautifully textured oak tree...


Whose leaves were all blanketing the creek's surface.

3 comments:

  1. My favorites were the cute little cjipmunk and the antelope basking in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember those balmy late autumn days......and all that lovely light :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still jealous of your pronghorn pictures. I only get to see them from about a half mile away. One of these days though I'll get a shot to post.

    ReplyDelete