Thursday, May 5

Spring is Seeping In

The sun is out, the birds are chirping...no sign of the aggressive robin that has been terrorizing the neighborhood...I have video to prove it...fellow was attacking our front window, or more likely the strange intruder robin he saw looking back at him from 'inside' the house...the neighbor reported the same crazy behavior at her front window. The starlings, brown-headed cowbirds, and Brewer's blackbirds are taking over the feeders and fallen seeds/bath, much to my dismay...sheesh...

I rode Tatanka Blanca to Hot Springs and further south to the very southern tip of the Hills a few days ago, to Keith Park along Cascade Creek. I saw goldfinches and a spotted towhee but no photos...


I did get shots of this slightly natty-looking mourning cloak...



...and a Milbert's tortoiseshell...those 'eyes' are downright freaky...




...On the way back N., I went thru Wind Cave Nat'l Park and made a stop at the picnic area, where a trail runs between the loop and the cave...birds were heard but not seen, but I did find Nuttall's violets growing in the area....



I thought this was interesting...a new pinecone had artfully fallen onto an old cone...

 

The prairie dogs were looking healthy, shiny-coated as they went about their spring cleaning.

The forecast is for temps in the 60's...not quite making it to 70 except maybe one day in the next week, but hey we're getting there...I ventured to trade the flannel sheets for reg. cotton ones so let's hope I didn't put a 'spring snow' hex on things! Yeesh. The huz and I took a walk this morning and I saw some bladderpod and phlox growing in a vacant lot...wildflowers are finally coming up.  :o)

1 comment:

  1. Spring has sprung! So many lovely images. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete