Thursday, July 15

Back in Black (Part 2)

First off, let me thank my fellow bloggies for the really nice comments being posted lately, it means a lot to me! Hug hug, kiss kiss to all...  :-D

This is Part 2 of my first outing in July on Mon., and there will be a Part 3 on Sat., which will include a neat surprise, at least I think so...we left off in Custer Park on the wildlife loop, as I headed south...

I saw that the showy milkweed was growing along the roadsides of other states during my drive home from N. Calif., so I knew I'd see it here in SD...I'll post other milkweeds in Part 3...

The prairie coneflower is in full swing around the Hills...the solid yellow is the most common, but...

You can find the yellow and purple version if you're paying attention...or lucky...

At my destination, Keith Park at the far-south end of the Black Hills, I was happy to see the yellow-breasted chat has returned to this birdie oasis along Cascade Creek...

The black-eyed Susans are also blooming now, always a pretty sight...

And the mariposa lilies are in bloom...one of my favorites...ok, I have several...

The wild roses are all over the Black Hills, and the colors range from deep pink....

To pale pink, sometimes pale pink with darker striping...

To white, which I love seeing as it's unusual (like the yellow and purple prairie coneflower) and so pretty...there are a few different types of wild roses actually but I have NO idea which is which...

Also seen in the trees at Cascade Creek was this busy goldfinch, pecking away at something in the crook of the trunk and branch...pausing briefly to see who was spying on him...

Before going back to his business and turning his backside on me. Well!

2 comments:

  1. I'm delighted you gave top spots to the flora today. Love the Praire Coneflowers and the Mariposa Lilies....actually I love them all really.
    BTW the new blog layout is superb Jann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colorful post today Jan. I wonder what the surprise is ? Guess i'll have to wait till sat :-)

    ReplyDelete