Saturday, November 20

Birding Around Ye Old Homestead...

...My parents' house (for 46 yrs) that is...I didn't need to go anywhere to find a nice collection of birds, while the Huz and I were visiting my parents and sis in No. Calif. We left the 8th, got back home the 17th...Sis and I did go birding one day, I'll share those photos next....


I don't recall gulls hanging around ye old homestead before, but this one was perched on the power pole one house down from my folks' front yard...it probably has something to do with my dad feeding the crows out front every morning...


The robins love these berries in a tree near the driveway in back....


...One of the crows that swoops in after Dad throws bread or bacon fat out...this crow was beating whatever it had on the top of the post (about 2-3 posts down from the seagull's perch) like it was trying to crack something open, but it looks like a piece of bread, which it dropped as I snapped...


The hummingbirds like another tree by the driveway in back of the house...I watched this fellow zip straight up high, then zzzzzzing back down several times...I believe this is an Anna's hummingbird.


The yellow-rumped warblers like a particular tree in the front yard...


...Back to the posts out front, I heard this flicker calling before finding it clinging to the same post that the seagull had been on...my real old version of a W. fieldguide says there's 3 common flickers: red-shafted, yellow-shafted, and guilded...newer E. fieldguide says there's two Northern flickers, the red and yellow shafted, and that they interbreed...well this fellow was out West and I think it's a red-shafted flicker...esp. if it refers to the feather shafts, as you can see below...



Well, this looks like a female white-crowned sparrow...N side of the house in neighbor's tree...


Only got one (blurry of course) shot of this...lifer! A female Townsend's warbler!

Also seen: dark-eyed Oregon junco, chickadee.

4 comments:

  1. Fun trip, I hope.
    Love the Townsend's warbler, I've never seen one. Given that my grandmother's maiden name was Townsend and my father, brother and nephew carry it as their middle name, I'd love to add it to MY list, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice variety of birds around your parent's home, Jann. Great photo of the Red-shafted Flicker's red feather shafts(tongue twister) :) I love everything about the beautiful photo of the Robin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. been doing some 'home' birds myself Jann. You've got some lovely birds over there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn. Lovely selection from around the homestead AND another lifer ... well done. FAB.

    ReplyDelete