Tuesday, November 30

Birding on the West Coast

Did I mention we're in full-blown winter here in western South Dakota? Only five-and-a-half more months to go too...SIGH...am already missing my hometown, but posting the 2nd half of my photos from that visit will have to do...do plan to get out with the camera today, I haven't been out since getting back home almost two weeks ago......the sun is out, the blizzard is over (a mild one except for the blasting winds).....


One day, on the W coast, the Huz and I went to Trinidad, where my favorite beach is...it was too windy and cold to beach walk, tho, so we watched a wetsuit clad kayaker take off from the marina...better him than I...


This Calif. gull seemed undaunted by the frigid ocean water....then again, it isn't exactly smiling...


From the dock I briefly watched this Western grebe bobbing in the choppy water...before high-tailing it back to the car and out of the harsh wind...


The day my sis and I went birding together, we stopped along Humboldt Bay so I could take photos of shore birds, too far for good shots but I believe they're marbled godwits...



We took the H. Bay Bridge to the marina to enjoy lunch there...on either side of the road between the bridge and the marina there is fenced in wildlife preserve land...this was the first time I saw anything in those two small areas...on one side, this lone buck...

On the other side, a couple of black-tailed does...

And a great egret...


For every beautiful moment that we witness in nature, how many countless other ones do we miss?

2 comments:

  1. That last photo is just excellent Jann! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That little black-tailed deer is adorable...so cute! Loved the last photo with the great egret walking by...great capture, Jann!

    ReplyDelete