Monday, March 7

A Tale of Two Lodges

So, Part II of my wintery drive through Custer State Park recently...the park now has five lodges, and I passed by three of them on my route. The first one, the Game State Lodge, didn't have the icy decor I was looking for, so I continued on to Blue Bell Lodge...


Where I found what I was looking for...icicles...

Some covering an upstairs window...some, reaching for the ground...





In the summer, Blue Bell Lodge provides a nightly Western Chuck Wagon Cookout that begins with a hay ride to a secluded canyon and includes a sing-along w/ Western entertainers...I'm hoping to enjoy the outing this year...



Moving on towards Legion Lake Lodge, this coy gal showed off her beautiful white tail...



Across Legion Lake, a bridge, accessable from the parameter...


Legion Lake Lodge was also adorned with an impressive crystal fringe...




A paw print inside a human print....raccoon? Fox? No...I have yet to ID this but I have certainly tried... 


Human tracks that I was following in to the edge of the lake...several inches deep...I didn't wear my snow boots cause they're hard to drive in, but did have my hiking boots on...


The fence posts around the Lodge had lop-sided snow caps...


A Black Hills (white) spruce by the Lodge, covered in cones...it's South Dakota's state tree.

1 comment:

  1. Ice and snow do make for great winter shots. Love the icicles. And that lovely lady was certainly being cooperative.

    ReplyDelete