Saturday, November 21

Spearfish Canyon in Early Winter

I took another drive yesterday, first heading through Deadwood to Hwy. 85 S, for the scenic drive SW of Spearfish Canyon...the area is like a wetlands, with Spearfish Creek running through it...unfortunately there's never a pull-out where you want to stop to take photos...and the people driving that road mean business...

I did stop in one spot and as I was standing there, two gray jays came along...I'll spare you the photo of one of them pecking at a discarded deer carcass...


I went back to the S entrance into Spearfish Canyon and had a look around at Roughlock Falls, where I found some still-bright red rosehips w/ a touch of frost...


More of those funny zig-zag icicle formations along the creek...


...All while I meandered down the path along the creek that spills over the falls...this area is busy with tourists and locals when it's warmer; this day, I had it to myself.


Further up the Canyon, I discovered more neat-o ice formations along Spearfish Creek...the ice on these stumps reminds me of the mushrooms you'd see in Frodo's Shire...


...Is this awesome or what?! The ice was all along Spearfish Creek.  Very mystical looking...

5 comments:

  1. N-ice, seasonal pics Jann! I remember cold days like that in England ......once upon a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I could live there, but we'd have to do something about the cold weather! Your photos just draw me right in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I love the Middle Earth ice mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ice photos do look as tho they came from some enchanted place. Certainly more cheerful than the dreary fog we have here today.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete