Tuesday, May 25

Custer SP and Cobb Rd. (Sat. Part 3)

This is Part 3 of my drive on Sat. After checking out Ghost Canyon, I went partway down the wildlife loop at Custer Park, came back up and took LH Rd. E out of there toward Hwy 79...at the intersect for Cobb Rd., which goes N and then E to the hwy., I took Cobb Rd. for the first time...another dirt road I'd been curious about...

I saw two Eastern kingbirds swooping and just barely skimming the surface of this muddy pond by a farm house...presumably bathing themselves or drinking, I couldn't tell...

I stopped and got out of the car to take photos of this Western kingbird...it was very accomodating. Both kingbirds are abundant here during the spring/summer.

A chipping sparrow at quite a distance...also abundant this time of year...

Lots of lark buntings can be seen on barb wire fences this time of year...but getting a photo is tricky as they are pretty skittish...but, there's one in every crowd who is either really dense or really curious...

I saw lots of flocks of male and female lark buntings along Cobb Rd...

Another Eastern kingbird...they aren't so skittish...

Neither are the Brewer's blackbirds...


This little Western kingbird looks very curious...

Ditto with this Eastern kingbird...can you tell, I love the kingbirds...


It isn't easy to get a shot of one of the red-winged blackbirds that have really bright red wing patches (presumably for spiffy mating duds); I barely got this shot when it flew off...

Gonna throw this in...last year we had a goldfinch visit our backyard feeders...a very rare visitor...so I was doubly thrilled to see two goldfinches out there a couple days ago. They didn't stay long and this was the only passable shot I got. He wasn't really this dirty color, I had to really tweak the over-exposed shot.

Ok, after a severe hail storm last night (luckily we didn't get the golf ball sized hail, just pea and marble-sized)...and the threat of a tornado, which we have yet to experience thank goodness, but there was a big one near Faith about 125 miles NE of us...it is sunny and gorgeous today so I'm hitting the road....

2 comments:

  1. Jann,
    You have a lady goldfinch there, she is never going to match her boyfriend for lemon yellow =)
    Love the curious kingbird!

    ReplyDelete