Friday, May 7

A Tail of Two Rumps

...Actually, this is a tale of two throats...when I posted the photo of the yellow-rumped warbler the other day, I decided not to mention that (according to my birdie field guide) there are two types of this bird, but because they inter-breed and create hybrids...who knows which you're really looking at...and I figured I'd never see both variations...ha! Surprise!

The Eastern "Myrtle warbler" (male) has a white throat like the one below, and two white wing bars...this one seen near Roughlock Falls in Spearfish Canyon...

I took a drive to Sylvan Lake and Needles Hwy. yesterday, and at the lake who did I stalk along the shoreline, but a Western "Audubon's warbler", with a yellow throat!
He was surprisingly tolerant of my shadowing him.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jann. I enjoyed your trip to Spearfish Canyon but surprised to see you still have snow..BRrrrrr..but still plenty of signs of new life. How cool that you found both the Eastern and Western Yellow Rumped Warblers and provided lovely comparison images. FAB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jann,
    Doing last year's West River Migration Count, I found both Myrtle and Audubon's along Rapid Creek. Not so lucky with the pictures though. I grew up with the Myrtles in NY, so seeing the other fellow was cool.
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yellow-rumped Warblers are impressive in the sheer numbers with which they flood the continent each fall. Shrubs and trees fill with the streaky brown-and-yellow birds and their distinctive, sharp chips. Though the color palette is subdued all winter, you owe it to yourself to seek these birds out on their spring migration or on their breeding grounds. Spring molt brings a transformation, leaving them a dazzling mix of bright yellow, charcoal gray and black, and bold white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though the color palette is subdued all winter, you owe it to yourself to seek these birds out on their spring migration or on their breeding grounds

    ReplyDelete