Saturday, June 13

Pewee, Black-headed Grosbeak, Red-naped Sapsucker

I'm not totally certain, but I think this is a Western wood-pewee, of the flycatcher species. My "Watchable Birds..." book says they like to perch on dead branches of forest clearings, and that's where I saw this one, and others today.
So, I was putzing around this one spot in Vanocker Canyon today, at the turn-off for an unmarked dirt road...I'd seen pretty birds in this area last year but didn't get any photos, so was back again with high hopes. I saw this black-headed grosbeak eventually. No great shots today but that's just the way it goes in this bird business.


Eventually, two red-naped sapsuckers (woodpeckers) came along, seemingly sparring with one another, perhaps over territory? Both were males...

No comments:

Post a Comment