Sunday, July 12

Goldfinch, Prairie Smoke, Mt. bluebird


Sat., friend J. and I left bright and early for a photo outing, planning to do a first-run down a long county road just over the Wyoming border. An hour or so later we were met with a No Trespassing sign and had to double back, and come up with Plan B. Taking a different route that went back to Spearfish, SD, we came across this young coyote in the road...there was a second one further out in the grass.


Also sighted due to the initializing of Plan B was this pretty male American goldfinch. Yahoo!





Like so many other wildflowers this year, the prairie smoke is real abundant...I think it's so cool-looking. It's from the rose family, and this is the flower stage.


Finally, a decent shot of a female Mt. bluebird...I don't know why this one posed so nicely for me, but I was appreciative.

The last part of our long, bumpy, mucky, winding gravel travel was through an area known as the Jasper fire area. In Aug. 2000, a woman set the fire deliberately, burning 83,508 acres, approx. 224 million board feet of timber. It took 16 days to contain. I didn't live here when it happened, but seeing the vast sea of dead, charred trees covering the landscape brought tears to my eyes, last year when I first saw it, and this year as well. I happen to be married to a firefighter. I pray that woman has an inkling of the strife and danger she caused so many people (1,160, the max., on 8-31st)....see fire photos, facts HERE.


I thought the lupine and black-eyed Susan growing around this charred tree stump said a lot.

4 comments:

  1. Nice shots from Saturday's outing! The goldfinch is soooooo pretty!( not to mention cooperative in this shot!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of the stump shows that there is still so much beauty left to been seen...What drives someone to do so much damage to something this beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot get over your header photo. It appears so real, I want to touch my screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did live here during the Jasper fire, we are ALWAYS grateful for the firefighters who answer the call, believe me. We don't say thanks often enough.

    ReplyDelete