Tuesday, September 8

Painted Turtles & Family

I came across painted turtles at the water hole south of the buffalo round-up corrals (in Custer Park) two weeks ago. I've seen an antelope and a great blue heron there as well. This looks like a family of turtles basking in the sun together. There are 6 small turtles; one is hidden behind the far-left youngster. The eggs (4-15 of 'em) take 72-80 days to hatch and it takes males 3-5 yrs to reach maturity and females 4-5 yrs. The young are supposed to be immediately independent upon hatching...looks like these kids are as 'independent' as a few teens I know/have known.


Speaking of family...I am hitting the road tomorrow, heading to N. Calif. to see my folks. I'm going to visit a wildlife refuge along the way and hope to have some bird photos from that. I'll also be posting photos of my trip...be forewarned, I'll be deviating away from the Black Hills! I'm sure I'll do some posts during my trip, as I'll be gone over two weeks. Y'all behave yourselves while I'm gone!

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful trip. I know we will see some great photos.

    That must be the favorite turtle log;) At least two generations of turtles enjoying it.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...how lucky to stumble across an entire family of turtles...a lovely sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those turtles..
    I'll be looking forward to your post on the road..

    You have a safe and fun trip Jann...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a safe trip and enjoy every moment!! See you when you get back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sounds like a great trip...have a safe one, take lots and lots of pics..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I can see the Black Hills anytime, I'll look forward to seeing California.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete