Wednesday, September 23

Sea Lions, Lighthouses, and Seals, Oh My!

Mom and I stopped at the marina in Crescent City, CA about an hour after seeing the Roosevelt elk yesterday morning...

Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent City, CA, can be seen from the marina there...the lighthouse was first lit in 1856...In 1964 a 9.2 magnitude earthquake, the strongest ever recorded in the N Hemisphere, struck in Alaska, creating a tsunami...the waves reached nearly 600 mph and the crests were up to 20 feet high...it hit Crescent City but miraculously, the lighthouse was undamaged and only 11 people in the small coastal town were killed.

Oh the life...this male sea lion seemed to have dibs on this particular dock...I love this pose...a human got too close and he dived into the water, but soon came right back to this spot.

Two male sea lions jockeying for position...while cormorants pretend not to notice...

There were also cute, spotted harbor seals at the end of the same dock...what bums...

This is the Coquille River Lighthouse in Bandon, Oregon, where mom and I stopped yesterday for fish and chips by the marina there. The lighthouse is 103 yrs old.

6 comments:

  1. The sea lions and harbor seals looks like a bunch of old retired guys and the way I sometimes wish I could act like.
    Great post and pictures. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have forever colored my thoughts of sea lions and seals...What bums indeed! You made me laugh with that observation Jann! Did you happen to do any of that laying around? The photo of the lighthouse and the tree looks so lonely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see the lighthouses in person.

    The seals are so beautiful. They sure enjoy relaxing in a sunny spot.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those lions look like they have the right idea about life...I like how the cormorants are pretending to ignore them...quite a job to do..seeing how big those lions and seals are to those little birdees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could do with some of that relaxed attitude J'Ellen, dont they look chilled!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very relaxing Jann..lol..great shots!!

    ReplyDelete